Friday, August 5, 2011

Wired Up

Artistic Wire has been available for a number of years and though it came in an assortment of rainbow colors it was only recently that I discovered the beautiful finish called Non-Tarnish Brass.  Unlike the copper or bronze finish wire, the Non-Tarnish Brass has a lovely gold tone to it that works well with gold fill or gold plated findings. 
photo above ... Artistic Wire spools and my recently finished spiral beaded necklace
My first introduction to Artistic Wire was back in 2005 when I purchased a 12 spool assortment in jewel like colors for a beading course that I had signed up for.  The course required  very fine  wire at either 24 to 26 gauge.  Not normally a gauge that I would have much cause to use.  
In recent years Artistic Wire has introduced several new metal finishes that coordinate with the newer metals of today's chains and findings. 
Photo above ... close up of my handmade clasp and extender chain, made from Artistic Wire in non-tarnish brass.
Though I love the color the one downside is its non tarnish coating.  Unfortunately since the non-tarnish finish involves a clear coat of some substance (acrylic or vinyl?) it didn't take kindly to my flattening it with a hammer on a bench block.  I noticed that some of the clear coating chipped off during this process.  In the future I will have to forgo work hardening a piece and also make sure to use Tool Magic on my pliers to help protect this coating
If anyone makes wire findings or does wire wrapping I'd love to hear how you handle wire that has this protective coating on it.  Is there a clear sealant that one can use to "re-seal" this coating if it is scratched or chipped?

11 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about making jewelry so can't help you on the wire question, but your necklace is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bead Magic, and use it all the time. I don't use artistic wire often, so can't help you there :( Love your clasp, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't work with wire but OHHHHHHHH I am loving your clasp and jump rings!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Afraid I can't offer advice either...but the colors are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by! I know what you mean by not having everything for projects and having to go out and buy them. It's a never ending process. I've made a sort of resolution that I must use most of my current bead stash before I go out an buy more. I know it won't last long but it's worth a try!
    Nissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love artistic wire too. Try using a rawhide hammer, it will work harden the piece causing very little, if any damage.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  7. Additionsstyle - THANKS that's a great idea. I must admit that I do not own a rawhide mallet but it is something that I should have in my arsenal of tools.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Un Spiral Rope muy bien convinado de colores, felicidades... Bss

    ReplyDelete
  9. That link you gave me has really cool stuff... Thanks! I'm definately going to be using them.
    Nissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I stopped making jewelry long before ever reaching a point of having to ask questions like this. But I hope you'll keep us informed of what you find out because your spiraling is amazing & well worth the research in order to continue creating it! Gorgeous piece as always my friend :-)

    ReplyDelete

Nothing makes me happier than to hear from those who have dropped by my blog for a visit. I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...